How can we improve Go Read?

Make it a paid app like on the iPhone

I, like the great majority of blind individuals, am an iPhone user and I thoroughly enjoy its superior screen reading functionality that comes built-in with the phone. I feel extremely disappointed and being discriminated against by Bookshare for being charged for an app, whilst our Android-loving blind friends can use their app for free. Given that Bookshare was created with the aim of removing discrimination from the print-only world, I find it unbelievable that it would favor one phone platform against another by making one of their apps completely free whilst the other paid for. You know very well that around 80% of visually impaired individuals are unemployed according to the U.S. government statistics. For these unemployed individuals, poverty is a fact of life as I am sure you also know very well. However, being a foundation necessitates some funds for software development and that is why I never protested before about the $20 iPhone app price. But now that you have made the Android app free, I really wonder why on Android your costs would be any different and in any case why do we have to be punished us iPhone users. Please reconsider your prices and at least make the iPhone app free as well.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Shajey RumiShajey Rumi responded  · 

At Bookshare we prefer free and open source when it is available. In case of iOS no suitable open source solution existed when we were building Read2Go. Hence we partnered with a partner to deliver the iOS solution. In Android we were able to find an open source solution FBReader to work from. We continue to look for options and it will be hard to catch up to the features of Read2Go.

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tom GrushkaTom Grushka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, open source is best. As a blind person I am disappointed that another blind person wants greedy corporations like Apple to profit from our situations
        I'd like to see an open source version for iPhone but Apple does not support open source. Thank God accessibility is catching up on Android and in some ways superior -- you can install as many keyboards, TTS engines, etc. as you want on Android. Apple is so anti-open source. That's why I'm switching to a Nexus 4 and I praise and commend Book share for supporting this alternative platform and making it more affordable for me. Shame on you, Apple, and the third party developer for not "donating" technology to the open source community. Apple and the other developer are to blame, not Book share. Come on, wake up Blind community!!!

Feedback and Knowledge Base